McCloud has survived the post-timber era by being renowned for its wild rainbow trout and the Shasta Sunset Dinner Train. The McCloud-strain of trout provided stock for the first trout in New Zealand, Chile and Argentina. The dinner train has been featured on several national travel shows.
Town artwork. Good thing they have the trout and train to fall back on.
McCloud Falls
The Upper McCloud River is about 5 miles from the town of McCloud and there are three waterfalls on this part of the river. This was our morning adventure.
Lower McCloud Falls
The falls are easily accessible and are a popular swimming hole. Kids were jumping off the rocks on the right. This zoomed in picture gives the feeling of wilderness.
If you look closely, you'll see the people on the rocks on the left.
Kong really wanted a pic in front of Mt. Shasta, so we obliged. Looks like he is on the edge of a reflecting pool! Unanticipated photo effect.
Middle McCloud Falls
Again, the falls are accessible to swimmers. I saw a couple people swim behind the falls. There are people on the rocks on the extreme right side of the picture, but you can hardly see them.
I took this for Ali and Ross. Do these plants look familiar????
Upper McCloud Falls
No one swimming here, but there were fisherman on the river above the falls.
Shasta Excursion Train
This was our afternoon event. There is an hour-long train ride on an open excursion train, pulled by a diesel engine. The car is open and has an upper and lower deck. All Aboard!
This is the Dinner Train - NOT the excursion train we took. Not a very good picture, but it does say "McCloud Railway Company".
Here is our little train. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.......
Kong enjoyed his own seat. He actually snuck in for free!
A view of Mt. Shasta from the train. You saw it periodically along the way.
Kong on the upper deck going back to town.
Haven't we all been here either as kids or parents? There are too many captions for this picture, so choose your own. What comes to my mind is "If I hear 'There's Mt. Shasta' one more time, I'm going to puke. I need to text message someone, but there's no cell service." Anyway, at $12 a head, looks like money well spent.
No comments:
Post a Comment